Kathryn Stevenson joined Monnat & Spurrier, Chartered, at the beginning of 2016. Ms. Stevenson’s practice focuses on legal research, writing, and appellate work.
Ms. Stevenson is a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Denver Sturm College of Law (DU), with a Certificate in Constitutional Rights and Remedies. During law school, Ms. Stevenson interned with the Honorable John L. Kane in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, represented clients as a student attorney through the DU Civil Litigation Clinic, clerked for the South Texas Civil Rights Project, and interned with the Colorado Public Defender’s Denver trial office.
Prior to her arrival in Kansas, Ms. Stevenson worked with a Boulder-based criminal defense and civil rights litigation firm where her practice focused largely on appellate and postconviction challenges, in addition to assisting the firm’s partners with research and analysis in federal civil rights and death penalty cases. Additionally, Ms. Stevenson worked with a defense team under the umbrella of the Colorado Office of Alternate Defense, during which she conducted legal research, wrote memoranda, and drafted motions for a state death penalty case.
She earned her bachelor’s degree with high honors from the University of Montana, Davidson Honors College, where she majored in Political Science and Spanish, with minors in International Development and Latin American Studies. Before embarking on her legal career, Ms. Stevenson served as an AmeriCorps Volunteer in Service to America (VISTA) on the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana.
Ms. Stevenson is based in Lawrence, Kan., and telecommutes to Monnat & Spurrier’s Wichita office.
- Davidson Honors College - University of Montana, Missoula, Montana (B.A. in Political Science and Spanish, minors in international development and Latin American studies, high honors, 2007)
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado (J.D., 2012)
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit (2014)
- United States District Court, District of Colorado (2014)
- Kansas State Courts (2015)
- Colorado State Courts (2013)
- Montana State Courts (2014)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Kansas Bar Association
- Douglas County Bar Association