Formerly a professional journalist, Mr. Gorney knows the value of listening to other’s stories and possesses the skill to ask strategic questions that result from thorough research and a mastery of the subject matter.
A Wichita native, Gorney graduated from the University of Kansas School of Law in 2013 where he earned certificates in both Advocacy Skills and Media, Law and Technology. Mr. Gorney simultaneously earned a Master of Science Degree in Journalism from the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications after successfully defending his thesis: Social Media and Kansas Courtrooms: Assessing Kansas Supreme Court Rule 1001 and Exploring Possible Improvements. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Kansas State University majoring in journalism with a minor in Leadership Studies.
While in law school, Mr. Gorney joined the American Bar Association’s Law Student Division and served a year as one of the division’s four national officers. Mr. Gorney also worked as a graduate teaching assistant and later adjunct instructor for KU’s journalism school during his time in Lawrence.
Mr. Gorney is a past member of the board of directors of Delta Chi Fraternity and Music Theatre of Wichita.
Please remember that past results obtained by Monnat & Spurrier, Chartered, attorneys are no guarantee of future results. Each case or matter is different and is judged on its own merits.
City of Wichita v. Nyamweya, 18DU000136 (2018): Trial judge found client "not guilty" on misdemeanor charges of driving under influence and minor possession of alcohol; Client convicted only on traffic infraction for inattentive driving.
City of Wichita v. Thornton, 18DU000039 (2019): Client found "not guilty" at trial of reckless driving and DUI (incapable of safely operating a vehicle) following successful motion to suppress results of blood draw resulting in dismissal DUI (0.08 or greater) charge. Prior to trial, charges of driving without insurance and transporting open alcoholic beverages were dismissed by the prosecution.
- Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas (B.S. in Journalism and Mass Communications with emphasis on Print Journalism, minor in Leadership Studies, 2006)
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas (M.S. in Journalism and Mass Communications with emphasis on Strategic Communications, 2013)
- University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas (J.D., 2013)
- State Courts of Kansas (2013)
- United States District Court, District of Kansas (2013)
- United States 10th Circuit Court of Appeals (2017)
- United States Supreme Court (2018)
Areas of Practice
- Criminal and DUI Defense
- Appellate Practice
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Wichita Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent, 2018 - present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars, 2018
- National Trial Lawyers, Criminal Defense Top 40 Under 40 - Kansas, 2019